I read this the other day, but it didn't sink in until just now, listening to SLP on the trail with McCain. I've lived in small towns too, but even in big towns I still think she'd come across as a mean spirited backstabber that you wouldn't trust to count the money after the community garage sale. Has anyone else seen or read anything about a "nice", compassionate side to her? (btw, I'd feel the same about a guy in the neighborhood, except we wouldn't trust him to bring back the tool he borrowed)
The Sarah Palin I saw last night had a mean streak a mile wide. If me or my brothers and sisters would have been as sarcastic and demeaning to someone as Sarah Palin was last night, my mom would have sent us to our room.
(snip)
Many of my family and friends in small-town America are Republicans, but they're generally not this kind of mean Republican. The modern Republican party likes to call itself the party of Reagan, and Reagan did remind me of a lot of those small-town folks I know and liked- I disagreed with their politics, but they had a friendliness and warmth that I appreciated. Palin and the modern Republican party reminds me a lot more of Nixon, with that dark, resentful streak, more likely to stick a knife in their neighbor's back than give them a helping hand.