Saturday, August 30, 2008

Obama/Biden rally: Liveblog

By GottaLaff


Biden is on. In Dublin, Ohio, after John Glenn intro:

When you work hard, there are no limits. That is in question with Bush/McCain. [he's repeating some of his convention speech]

McCain doesn't see the economy the way Barack and I do. "The economy is getting stronger" said Bush. John McCain just said "we are making great progress on our economy, we're on the right track." That's not a train I want to be on.

I don't think John gets it. I know these things are hard to believe: He proposed 200 billion dollars in corporate tax cuts. He does not call for a single penny in tax breaks for 100 million American families. He thinks Big Oil should get more tax cuts, but not one single penny for renewable energy.

John McCain voted 19 times against raising the minimum wage. Wants to spend on Iraq when they have an 80 billion dollar surplus. He voted with Bush 95% of the time. If you think Bush deserves a third term, vote for John McCain. [boos]

Barack Obama gets it. [cheers] This guy, after college, he gets embarrassed at this, could have written his ticket to any place in the world, but he went to the south side of Chicago. He made the lives of those people the work of his life, in the community, in the Senate, and that's what he'll do as president: He'll make their lives, HIS life.

I ran in the primaries and saw something incredible, something you all saw. I worked hard, but I saw something I'd never ever seen. I watched a guy tap into, just by his being and ideas, that you don't have to accept a situation you cannot bear, you can CHANGE IT. [yes we can!] [Biden just whispered to Obama, I think we can let this go and not to the rest of it. Barack must have said not yet.]

McCain says Barack is not ready. Let's just do a little comparison. McCain says we succeeded in Afghanistan. Obama said we need more batallions in Afghanistan. Now the chief of staff of the military said getting more troops there is "an urgent requirement." Obama was right, McCain was wrong.

McCain said, why talk to Iran? Obama said, we better talk, make clear they need to change their conduct and what'll happen if they don't. After 7 years of denial, the Bush administration went to talk to Iran... McCain was wrong... Obama was right.

One more: McCain said, we shouldn't talk about a timeline... We'll stay there if it takes 100 years. Obama said something that wasn't popular, had the courage to say, we have to set a timeline, shift responsibility to Iraqis... send troops home. After 6 years, we have to vote on an agreement in Congress sent by Bush to set a timeline to bring troops home. Obama was right, McCain wrong.

Intros Obama. [see next post]

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts