By GottaLaff
P.E. Obama is answering questions from the press. I came in a late, but here's what I could get:
On the economy:
"We are going to ban all earmarks in the recovery package... the process by which members insert them without review. There are no earmarks in the recovery package."
"We are close to a trillion dollar deficit."
On Panetta: I have the utmost respect for Leon Panetta... He brings extraordinary management skills, political savvy, integrity... fully versed in international affairs and crisis management, he had to evaluate intelligence on a regular basis... I haven't made an announcement yet... I'm putting together a top notch intelligence team.. who will not tell what the president wants to hear, but what he needs to keep America safe. A team that is committed to breaking with some of the past practices and concerns that have...tarnished the agencies, as well as foreign policy. There are outstanding intelligence professionals in the agencies, and I have the utmost regard for their work. This is a team effort that is looking forwards, not backwards."
On Gaza:
When it comes to foreign policy, we need to adhere to one president at a time. On domestic matters, Republicans and Democrats can argue back and forth, but on international matters, other countries look to see who speaks for the United States. Obviously, I am deeply concerned about the conflict. I'm being fully briefed and monitoring on a day to day basis. The loss of civilian life on both sides is of deep concern to me. After Jan. 20, I'll have plenty to say. I'm not backing away at all from what I said in the campaign. We will engage effectively and consistently in.. the Middle East.... It's right for the region and for the security of the American people. So, on Jan. 20, you'll be hearing directly from me. Until then, my job is to monitor, and to put together the best national security team possible.
Sidebar: Rusty Dornan is leaving CNN.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Obama's unscheduled remarks, liveblog
blog comments powered by Disqus