By GottaLaff
New DNC chair Tim Kaine shares Obama's temperament, per Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart on MSNBC just now.
And Howard Dean feels like he wants to scream, says Norah O'Donnell. Funny, Noron, you should be writing for Leno. That's about his speed.
Waiting for Obama and Kaine to make their entrance...
The personal chemistry has been very important to Obama with his appointments, says MSNBC Guy.
Obama:
He's talking about uniting the nation around a common purpose, a movement for change. He goes on:
And that's what we accomplished in an American victory, not just a Democratic one. But our work is not yet complete. The challenges are so vast... we can't abandon the movement we built.
We need to redouble our efforts in all 50 states. Shed our ingrained habits, taking from lobbyists, but rely on small donations from ordinary Americans.... Outstanding work by Howard Dean ... a visionary, effective leader...launched 50 state strategy... worked with Rahm Emanuel... Steered the Dems through two successful elections, he deserves enormous credit.
Time to build on Howard's acheivements... No one better suited than the new DNC chair, Tim Kaine of Virginia... He appeals to our common hopes... pursues policies that work for the people of Virginia... a pragmatic, progressive philosophy... that solves problems and makes a difference in lives. Reaching across party lines achieves progress for all Americans.
He built a model of good and responsible government in Va.... [He's listing Kaine's accomplishments]... He can win campaigns by bringing people together, and is pragmatic, but he also believes politics is not about enriching corporate friends, or getting your name in the papers, but dignity of service. Intros Kaine...
Tim Kaine:
Obama is a very persuasive individual... and I accept. I signed on early in 2007, to Obama's campaign... I'm so proud of that campaign and his policies... Virginia supported a Dem for the first time in 44 years... I pledge to keep his trust. I want to do 3 thikngs: Promote the president's agenda, carry the proud banner of a proud party (equality for all, dignity of work, education, responsibilities to each other, strong internationally, diplomatically; we're problem solvers, not dividers, rejecting politics of negativity in Virginia), and engage Americans in new ways in politics.
Chairman Dean did a remarkable job, recognizing that we must be a party that plays everywhere. I have huge shoes to fill. And Sen. Obama campaigned in a different way. He's more than just inspirational... it's about organization. Organization around the principle that everyone matters. If we can engage people in remarkable ways... we can do the same thing in politics, not just in election cycles.
I'll call him Barack until January 18th then there will be a different title.
Ooops... no press conference. Just the announcement. I changed the post title to reflect that.
Kaine was on the short list for vice president. He said Obama was persuasive, so he is now in this important job, says MSNBC Guy.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
President-elect Obama, Tim Kaine: No press conference: Liveblog
blog comments powered by Disqus