By GottaLaff

"Sometimes, when we’re lying together," he says, "I look at her and I feel dizzy with the realization that here is another distinct person from me, who has memories, origins, thoughts, feelings that are different from my own. That tension between familiarity and mystery meshes something strong between us. Even if one builds a life together based on trust, attentiveness and mutual support, I think that’s it’s important that a partner continues to surprise."I can hear the panting already, and Comments aren't even a twinkle in this blog's eye yet.
The interview is from a 1996 piece that appears in the French newspaper Le Monde. Are your specs steaming up yet? Don't worry, this next snippet will clear them right up:
"It was strange, that excitement over this first-year student," then-32-year-old Michelle Obama recalls when describing the buzz about a new summer associate at the law firm Sidley and Austin. "So smart, so good-looking, so intelligent, everyone was talking about Barack. I’m more of the skeptical kind, I was thinking, 'Yeah, he’s probably an idiot, whatever.'"Oh, Michelle, you crazy wacky romantic, you. She found herself drawn to him, of course, partially because of his background:
"Usually, these people [at the law firm] are all cast from the same mold, but he came from elsewhere. He had a high level of conversation, while still remaining an average guy. He had an impressive curriculum, but was very down to earth and liked playing basketball. That’s what I found attractive in him. Our relationship was first a friendship. It took off from there."Like a rocket, it took off. Zoom. Over the moon. Michelle, on their contrasting personalities:
"It’s not certain that we will succeed. But we’re going to be very busy with a number of different things, and it’s going to be interesting to see what life has to offer to us. We’re ready to take on that adventure for various reasons, for instance, for the opportunities it can open to us. [...] He’s more extroverted, more expansive, me I’m more ‘let’s wait and see how things present themselves and how it can benefit us.’""For those little squirmy trolly types who persist in accusing Obama of turning it on to for political reasons, let's take a look at this quote of his from 12 or so years ago. It's awfully consistent with his recent themes:
He says, "perhaps that’s where the private and public spheres meet, when it comes to couples, relationships, families or tribes. What’s important is empathy, an understanding of shared responsibilities, the ability to put yourself in other people’s shoes. That’s why my marriage to Michelle is vibrant, because we are able to imagine the hopes, the pains, the personal battles of other people, and the challenge for everyone is to transfer that ability (for empathy) from the family sphere to the public sphere."Obamalicious. Finally, back to the future:
Mr. Obama says that for him and his wife, "kids are an important priority. We really look forward to having them. I think that the issue will be finding a balance between public life and private life, which will mean finding a balance between my temperament that leans towards risk-taking and ambition, and Michelle’s instinct for stability, family and strong values. The way we go about dealing with these issues will be crucial."They've dealt with them so well that in 10 days, they'll move into the White House with the adorable Sasha and Malia, two of the the sweetest products of their stable, loving marriage.
There's plenty more where this came from, right here.