Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Still E-ddicted: Obama says he'll fight to keep his BlackBerry

By GottaLaff

Photo
Some time ago, I had a lot of fun with P.E. Obama's addiction to his BlackBerry. Apparently, his flirtation with B.A. (BlackBerrys Anonymous) didn't take:
President-elect Barack Obama vowed a fight to the finish on Wednesday -- not over his economic plan, but to hang on to his BlackBerry. "They're going to pry it out of my hands," he told CBNC about his BlackBerry [...]

He is trying to avoid the fate of President George W. Bush, who gave up e-mail when he took power in 2001 because his lawyers determined any such electronic communications would have to be preserved for posterity as presidential documents.

There are also concerns that presidential electronic communications could be hacked into by the mischievous or the malevolent. [...]

Obama said keeping in touch by e-mail was a way of escaping the trappings of power and staying in touch with regular people. [...]

"I've got to look for every opportunity to do that -- ways that aren't scripted, ways that aren't controlled, ways where, you know, people aren't just complimenting you or standing up when you enter into a room, ways of staying grounded," he said.

As of now, he is hanging on to his BlackBerry.

"This is a concern, I should add, not just of Secret Service, but also lawyers. You know, this town's full of lawyers. I don't know if you've noticed," he said.

Now that I know he's receptive, I really should e-mail him and let him know how much I appreciated those remarks.

George Bush probably thinks BlackBerry is one of his stuffed Teddy bears that shares space with Woody the Cowboy on his bunk bed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts