Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hillary Clinton's concession, The Speech, finally! Liveblog

By GottaLaff

MSNBC is dissecting. Clinton is speaking. I'll be updating. New thread.

Hillary:

[Thanks a roaring crowd with her family looking on. The crowd won't stop.] Well... this isn't exactly the party I planned, but I sure like the company. I'm grateful to all of you... who talked, sometimes argued with your friends and neighbors [applause]... See? You can be anything you want to be. [huge applause] [Telling campaign stories, to which you're already reacting in Comments, lol] Talking about votes not being counted... To all those who voted, you have inspired me, humbled me with your commitment to our country... 18 million of you from all walks of life [huge applause]... women, men, young, old, African American, Caucasian, rich poor, gay, straight... [applause]... We fought for [goes on to list various examples] ... all those who lost jobs, health care. I entered this race because public service is about solving problems... You'll always find me on the front lines of democracy fighting for the future. [huge applause, chants of "Hillary!"]

The way to continue our fight now... is to take our energy, passion, strength and do all WE CAN TO HELP ELECT BARACK OBAMA THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE U.S. [huge applause, some boos]... Today, as I SUSPEND my campaign, I congratulate him. I ENDORSE HIM AND THROW MY FULL SUPPORT BEHIND HIM. And I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for him as for me... [some boos, lots of applause] I served with him, gone toe to toe in 22 debates, seen his strength, determination, grace... he's lived the American Dream [lists examples], and in this campaign has inspired so many. ... We need a president who can put this country back on the path to peace, prosperity, progress... put Barack Obama in office...

I understand that we all know it's been a tough fight, but the Dem party is a family. Come together around the ideals we share... we may have started on separate journeys, we're heading for same destination: To win in November. We all want an economy that sustains the American dream, etc.... Universal health care [applause]... It is a fight I will continue until every single American is insured, no exception, no excuses...

We all want an America defined by equality: Women's rights, gay rights, etc... unionization, help for caring for our families, restore America's standing, END THE WAR IN IRAQ, join with our allies to confront challenges... global warming.

I've been in public life for 4 decades [applause]... And we've voted 10 x for president, and Dems only won 3 of those times. The man who won 2 of those elections is with us today. [applause] We made tremendous progress in the '90s under a Dem. Just think how much MORE progress we could have made over the past 40 years with a Dem president: environment, economy, foreign policy, SUPREME COURT. Imagine if we had a Dem in the White House. We can't let this moment slip away.

The journey ahead will not be easy. ... but for as long as America has been existed, it's rejected "can't do" and gone for hard work... It is this optimism that Obama and I share... So today, I AM STANDING WITH SENATOR OBAMA TO SAY "YES WE CAN" [loud cheers, chants of "yes we can"] TOGETHER we will work hard to achieve universal health care... That's why we need to elect Barack Obama! ... Restore middle class... We're all Americans, no matter where we live... we must elect Barack Obama our president! We'll have to work hard to be energy independent, and on that day, we will be stronger, so we have to elect Barack Obama!.. We'll have to work hard to bring our troops home, and on the day we're as loyal to our troops as they are to us, and it will be a stronger America, so elect Obama!...

This is a turning point election. Will we go forward or stall and slip backwards? We've made progress. .. Could a woman really serve as commander in chief? We answered that one! [huge applause] And... could an African American be our president, and Obama has answered that one! [applause] Together we achieved milestones...

On a personal note... what it means to be a woman running: I was proud to be a woman, but I ran because I'd be the best president, but...[wild applause], but... I am a woman, and like millions of women, I know there are still barriers... I want to build an America that embraces the potential of every last one of us. I ran as a daughter, a mother who worried about my daughter's future... to build the future for her, others, we have to build equal opportunities, pay, respect for women, men alike [paraphrased]... Work toward achieving: No acceptable limits or prejudices in a 21 st Century .... You can be so proud that it will be UNremarkable for a woman to win primary state victories, or be in close race, or for a woman to be president of the U.S. and THAT IS TRULY REMARKABLE MY FRIENDS.

To those who are disappointed, especially the young people, it would break my heart in falling short of my goal I would discourage you from achieving yours. Get right back up and never listen to anyone who tells you you can't or shouldn't go on! [major applause] As we gather here today... we will someday launch a woman into the White House. The glass ceiling has about 18 million cracks in it, and the light is shining through, filling us all with the hope that the path will be easier next time. ... [lists examples of pioneers who fought for civil rights] Because of them, Barack Obama and I could wage a hard fought campaign, and because of them and you, you can take for granted that a woman or African American can be president. When that day arrives, when a woman takes the oath of office, we can all stand taller. You helped pave the way.

So if you think, If only, or What if, please don't go there. Every moment looking back keeps us from moving forward. Life is too short, time to precious. We have to work together for what still can be. I will work my heart out to make sure Obama is our next president...join me in that effort. [HUGE applause] To my supporters, etc... who stood with me.. thank you... [offers many thanks to various groups]

... None of us can go it alone. ... Our lives, freedom, happiness are advanced when we work together. Join forces to support Obama. We will stand united. ... I have never felt so blessed [someone yelled "we love you"]. ... Today I'm gonna keep on going... working to give every American the same opportunities I had... I will do it with a heart filled with gratitude, a love for our country, and with nothing but optimism and confidence for the days ahead... this is now our time, to do all we can, to make sure we add another Dem president to that small list of the last 40 years.. take back our country. Thank you all...

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts