By GottaLaff
MSNBC:
BREAKING: Hillary projected to win South Dakota. (post title changed to reflect this)
Andrea Mitchell: Hillary wants to quickly and privately meet with Obama, as early as tomorrow night. She doesn't want to concede or embrace him until then. This isn't publicly disclosed to the media. I dug it up.
Keith: Fineman said that Clinton wants the v.p. offer, but has assured Obama's people that she'd turn it down. A superficial way to heal the wounds.
Mitchell: That would work as a tactic, but she really would want the offer from what I know. She really wants to run for v.p., per what her people have said. Her very large database would be able to reach all those women who could support Obama.
Terry McCauliffe is at the podium. I'm sure he's telling the crowd that Hillary has won the popular vote and is the presumptive nominee. Is it symbolic that they're in the basement of a college? He intro'd her but she didn't come out. Now they're entering, Hillary, Chelsea and Bill.
Hillary speaks:
South Dakota had the last word in this primary season and it was worth the wait. She's congratulating Obama for the "extraordinary race" he has run. Our democracy is more vibrant as a result. We are grateful. It has been an honor to contest these primaries with him, just as it's an honor to call him my friend. Let's take a moment to honor him and his supporters for all they have accomplished.Wow. I am stunned. This is beyond appalling. Next thread will be talking head commentary... and open thread time.
[skipping some speech...] See? You can be anything you want to be. All of those women in their 90s who came to see me, who were born before women could vote... the people who made the signs, who came to Hillary Clinton dot com.. I am grateful. ... You asked, who will be the strongest candidate? Who will be ready to take back the White House and lead our country to better tomorrows, be commander in chief? On election day after election day you came out in record numbers. You cast votes for our campaign, we won more of the popular vote than any candidate in history, even when the naysayers said this race was over. Because of you we won the swing states necessary to get the 270 electoral votes. ... Count every single vote...
I often felt that each of your votes was a prayer for our nation. ... I am so proud we stayed the course together. Because we stood our ground, every citizen had their voice heard. We have brought so many people into the Democratic party. I am committed to uniting our party so we move forward stronger than ever to take back the White House this November.
[I have seen your struggles, problems, but I've also seen the positives] None of you is invisible to me, you never have been. I see you. I know how hard working you are. I've been fighting for you my whole adult life. I'll keep working for you. I understand people are asking, "What does Hillary want?" I want to end the war, to turn the economy around, health care... ... ... and I want those who voted for me to be heard, respected, no longer invisible." I have an old fashioned notion that public service is about helping people solve their problems. ... ... Universal health care... ... I sounded the alarm on the home mortgage crisis years ago. ... restore values... foreign policy...
[She says lots of people are praying for her. They brought her back in all these millions of primaries that she's listing. She must have won the nomination... oh wait. She didn't.] Where do we go from here? It's a question I don't take lightly. I'll be making no decisions tonight. I want to hear from you. Go to my website, Hillary Clinton dot com... I'll be meeting with supporters and partyleaders to figure out how to move forward for the best way for our country.
She just brought up 9/11. Because we're resilient and courageous. And we face our challenges together, and there's no barrier we can't over come, nothing we can't do if we just start acting like Americans again.