Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bob Barr helps Democrats

By GottaLaff

When I think back to the impeachment hearings of Bill Clinton, I remember being infuriated by Bob Barr. I now have blissful new memories to replace the painful ones of yesteryear:

Bob Barr's Libertarian presidential campaign is poised to play a serious role in this year's elections, with early polls showing him taking away enough votes from Sen. John McCain to give Democrats a chance to win states that should be safely Republican.

Polls in Georgia and North Carolina over the last two weeks show Mr. Barr winning 8 percent and 6 percent respectively of the presidential vote, and in both cases helping keep likely Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama within striking distance of Mr. McCain in those states — which, taken together, account for more electoral votes than Florida, Pennsylvania or Ohio.
But wait! There's more! Dun-dun-dun-n-n!

About those 10 debates that Republican presidential nominee John McCain has pitched to Democratic rival Barack Obama.

Bob Barr wants a piece of the action.

Oh re-e-e-eally?

This raises an interesting question. McCain would probably oppose Barr’s participation. A higher Barr profile hurts the Republican.

Does Obama insist on Barr’s participation — as Bill Clinton insisted on making Ross Perot part of the ’92 debates with George W. Bush?

I talked with one strategist earlier today, before this topic came up. He said the Democratic campaign is quickly coming to realize that Bob Barr is Barack Obama’s best friend.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts