By GottaLaff
Froomkin lays out the contempt Bush has for his questioners or anyone who has the nerve to doubt him. Reading this put me through what I will call the Four Stages of "Good Grief!"...
When British Sky News reporter Adam Boulton today challenged Bush on his dedication to freedom, suggesting that Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib represented "the complete opposite of freedom," Bush accused Boulton of "slander[ing] America."
Stage 1, Defiance: I beg to differ. If anyone is "slandering America", it's Bush. He does that through his actions, his decrees, his lies, his secrets... you know the rest.
Evidently still smarting about the Supreme Court's rejection of his detainee policies last week, Bush noted defensively that the lower courts had agreed with him -- as if that mattered.
Stage 2, Hysteria: That's so laughable that I'm reduced to tears...okay, I'm sobbing. He's disgraceful.
While Americans increasingly blame him for record-high gas prices and the toll on their pocketbooks, Bush dismissively referred to domestic concerns about those high prices as "squawking." (Bush: "Well, in the meantime you've got a bunch of people squawking about the price of gasoline. And because we didn't try to find more oil and gas, we're in a pinch in America.")
Stage 3, Rage: Squawk this, George: !#%&*#!!
And in an interview on Friday with Ned Temko of Britain's Observer, Bush actually joked that he was "still looking" for the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction that were the main reason he gave to the public for going to war.Stage 4, Impeachment.
