Friday, October 24, 2008

Michelle Obama Works the Phones

By GottaLaff


::ring! ring!:: "Hello? ... Yes, this is Laffy, who's this? ... Michelle? Omg, how are the girls? ... Really? Awww. Send my love to Barack! Tell him he's got my vote (and some of my money). Bye, Michelle!"

She also delivered a surprise for the 15 volunteers who were operating a phone bank at an Obama campaign office in Akron on Friday afternoon.

When Mrs. Obama walked in, none of the volunteers noticed her at first; they were seated at folding tables, talking by phone to undecided voters or scanning their call sheets. Mrs. Obama stood at the head of a row of tables for about five seconds, waving at a couple of the volunteers and smiling, before the room erupted in applause. One woman loudly exclaimed, “I can’t believe it!” about a dozen times.

That would have been me, had I been there. After the hug, I mean. After I got revived, I mean.

Mrs. Obama took a seat and worked the phone for about 20 minutes, talking to a few different undecided voters on the phone, and appearing to seal the deal (or come close) with a couple of them.

Hi, this is Michelle Obama, how are you? I’m just hanging out at the campaign office,” she said. After a beat, she said with a bit dead-pan, “Well, you’ve got the next best option – I’m here!

During the conversations she frequently smiled, laughed gently, crinkled her nose, leaned forward in a comfortable hunch, and leaned her forehead on her fingers as she made the case for her husband. Her side of the conversations mostly involved Mr. Obama’s ideas for the economy and jobs. She also talked about his trip to Hawaii – “Barack’s grandmother is sick, she may not be with us much longer” – and how much she enjoyed Ohio.

Michelle, please know that we're pulling for her. And please pass that on to your husband.

She also dispensed hugs and shook hands with the volunteers, thanking them for making cold calls to voters.

“This is the hard part – calling up strangers on the phone,” Mrs. Obama said. “At least I’m talking about my husband.”
The entire country is, Michelle. GObamas!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts