By GottaLaff
Is this some kind of parallel universe? I just heard this, prior to Obama's speech, on MSNBC (I believe it was Kelly O'Donnell), regarding McCain and the kerfuffle over Clark's remarks:
"He [McCain] has refrained from using his P.O.W. status as a credential."Ummm...
If I could sit up long enough (shoulder's still fighting me), I'd start digging up YouTubes to the contrary. Paddy?
Oh, and one more tiny inconsequential little detail. Let's clarify something. Swiftboating John Kerry included disputing the facts, his military record, and smearing him with lies. Let's not confuse that with Wes Clark's opinion that being a P.O.W. is not necessarily a qualification for the presidency. Let's not confuse viewers by equating lies and smearing with a statement that did not-- I repeat, did not -- alter the truth.
We can argue about McCain's qualifications, and we should. However, nobody lied about his past. Nobody disputed his P.O.W. status. But arguing about whether that status makes him a better candidate, or a worse one (PTSD, anger management), or discussing whether McCain's stint in the military gives him stratospheric credentials, is perfectly legitimate.
Note to the media: Understanding and reporting the distinction is crucial to fairness and accuracy.