Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dan Quayle respects Obama, McCain has uphill battle

By Paddy


My fellow Hoosier tries to be relevant.


RENO, Nev.—Former Vice President Dan Quayle said Tuesday he respects Democrat Barack Obama "because he beat the Clintons" and fears Republican John McCain has an "uphill battle" to defeat Obama in November's presidential election.

Quayle also acknowledged that he expected Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton and Republican Mitt Romney would meet in the general election.

"I don't think anyone saw, including myself, the Barack Obama movement" coming, he said.

"I have a lot of grudging respect for what he did because he beat the Clintons, something we couldn't do in 1992," said Quayle, a former GOP senator from Indiana who served under President George H.W. Bush. "The Clintons were very convincing in the campaign they ran. So I thought she would be the candidate.

(snip)

He said it's not a good year to be a Republican, but that he was pulling for McCain.

"Polls show most people want change and change wins a lot of the time," Quayle said. "I hope McCain wins, but to be very fair, he has an uphill battle."

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts