By GottaLaff
Barack Obama is on MSNBC live right now saying that he sticks by his policy of withdrawing troops from Iraq, but would refine his position depending on the current situation. In other words, he's not rigid, but intends to end the war, including meeting with the Joint Chiefs, and telling them he wants to end the war.
There is no contradiction of wanting to bring home 1-2 brigades per month and what he is saying now, he says.
He would discuss the move with commanders, Iraqi officials, and other leaders in the region.
He also says his website does not contradict what he's saying now, bring the war to a close.
He'd consider other info on the ground. He wouldn't refine the 16 month timetable, but how to structure training for Iraqi military and police, what kind of troop presence would we need to do that, as well as a counterterrorism strike force. That would be determined by facts on the ground, he says.
He's puzzled. The McCain camp primed the pump with the press to suggest he was changing his policy, when that's not the case. "I've given no indication" of that. McCain will have a harder time explaining how he'd perpetuate a presence in Iraq for up to 20 years. "I've been saying, if you follow my plan, to begin withdrawing troops and have combat troops out within 2 years (16 mos.), we'd have had our troops there for 7 years. I won't have trouble explaining MY plan, McCain will."
I've always said that we have a strategic interest in Iraq, making sure it doesn't collapse. But that interest isn't served by having a permanent occupation, but by working with their leadership... political agreement, and that the other regional powers are brought in for stabilization. That can't happen with more war.
As president, I set the mission. One of the flaws now is for Bush to say Petraeus tells him what to do. He should tell them what their mission is. The mission I will set for our generals is to bring this war to a close. This has not changed.
If a general says we can't move responsibly, and I've said this before, always said, that I would always reserve the right to do what's best for our national interests. If we had to slow the pace in certain months, of course we'd take that into account. If I didn't take facts on the ground into account, I'd be a poor commander in chief.
I will bring our troops out at the pace I said, and that will take 16 months. That's what I intend to do.
First we couldn't pull out because there was too much violence. Now that the violence subsided, we can't pull out because things have improved. Catch 22. My concern is also with what's happening in Afghanistan. Now Bush is saying add more troops, but from where, if our troops are in Iraq?
There is no indication that the pace of gradual withdrawal, that you'd lose some of the gains we have in Iraq.
Thank you.
Laffy Note: Good for him for being on top of this. Rapid response, being assertive, that's the way to avoid the same old election season spin.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Obama press conference on Iraq, liveblog
blog comments powered by Disqus