By GottaLaff
Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) cannot win the presidency if the election becomes a referendum on President Bush, a prominent Republican lawmaker, Rep. Tom Davis (Va.), declared Wednesday.
“If this is a referendum on Bush, then this race is over,” Davis said on a conference call with reporters.Davis acknowledged the political environment is tough for Republicans because Bush’s numbers have been “in the trash can.”
I have to admit, I have gotten in the habit of associating Bush with trash. I can fully understand the Republicans' plight.
But Davis cautioned that the presidential race could also well come down to whether Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) is able to positively familiarize himself with voters who don’t know much about him.Call me crazy, but I'm guessing that Obama will become a household word at best, and familiar to voters at the very least. His campaign is wonderfully disciplined and focused. I choose to be optimistic about this one.
