By GottaLaff



Tapper: Did previous administration torture? Waterboarding is torture. I put an end to that. Not because there's not info yielded by detainees, but because we could have gotten the info another way, consistent with our values. This will make us safer over the long term. We can still get info, it may be harder, but we're willing to hold true to our ideals even when it's hard. And it takes away a critical recruitment tool of Al Qaeda.
Asked it again: I believe waterboarding is torture, and whatever legal rational was used, it was a mistake.
Mark Knoller: Did you read that it saved lives? Can you envision yourself ever authorizing it?
I have read the docs. The public justifications of the techniques doesn't answer, could we have gotten info w/o them? Or are we safer as a consequence? So my decision... was based on consultation with security team. So we should not take short cuts that would undermine who we are.
Chuck Todd asked about Pakistan:
"I'm confident that we can make sure Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is secure" but gravely concerned about situation in Pakistan.
Chip Reid, re: Arlen Specter--one party rule? State of R party?
I like Arlen. Being in Dem caucus will liberate him. I'm under no illusions that suddenly I'll have a rubber stamp Senate... that's how it should be. Congress is a co-equal branch of gov't. We'll have to compromise. To my R friends: I want them to realize that me reaching out has been genuine. I can't define bipartisanship as being willing to accept [their ideas]. But we can work together. Politics in America changes quickly. Things are never as good, or as bad, as they seem. I was 30 points down in Iowa. We're moving in the right direction, restoring confidence. Opposing on every front not a good strategy.
Ed Henry: Do you hope that Congress sends you Freedom of Choice Act? Abortion:
My position has been consistent. Abortion is moral, ethical issue. It's not simply an issue about women's freedom and nothing else. It's an individual issue. I'm pro choice because I don't think women take it casually. They're in a better position to make these decisions better than Congress or the president, along w/ their families, doctors, clergy. I'd like to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.
It's not my hightest legislative priority. But I'd like to tamp down the anger by finding areas of agreement.
Q: What has surprised, humbled, enchanted you about presidency?
[Laffy Note:Enchanted??]
Surprised by the number of issues that came to a head all at the same time. Troubled? Less troubled, but sobered by change in D.C. comes slowly. Let's take a time out from political games. That hasn't happened. Enchanted? Uhhhh... enchanted. Uhh... When I meet our servicemen and women, enchanted isn't the word I would use, but I am so profoundly impressed and grateful... They're really good at their job, sacrifice on our behalf, w/o complaint... They are fiercely loyal to our country. The more I interact, I'm grateful to them. Humbled? By the fact that the presidency is extraordinarily powerful, but we're part of a broader tapestry of American life. I can't just press a button and have the bankers do what I want, or turn on a switch and Congress falls in line. So, you make your best arguments, listen, and coax. It's a ship, not a speedboat. And humbled by everyone's patience.
Q: Immigration... what is your strategy for reform? Still w/in the first year? And will you reach out to McCain?
We reach out to him on a lot of issues. He's right on immigration. And others... We want to get this done. What I hope is that we can convene a working group of legislators... to start looking at a framework... meanwhile, take key administrative steps to lay the groundwork for legislation. America needs confidence we can execute a package. Napolitano has knowledge, is reviewing on how to strengthen border security. I see the process moving this first year. I'm accused of doing too much. Ultimately I don't control the legislative calendar...
Q: States Secrets Privilege... how do you differ from Bush?
It should be modified, it's over broad. We were in a week, didn't have time, had to respond to immediate case in front of us. There will be cases in which nat'l security interests are genuinely at stake. You can't litigate without revealing covert info... But searching for ways to redact, etc. so a judge in chambers can review info, there should be additional tools. We're interested in pursuing that. Holder, Greg Craig, others are working on that.
Q: Government is a shareholder in public companies...
We should be shareholders looking to get out. I don't want to run companies, banks. I've got two wars I'm running already. We are in unique circumstances. We had to step in. I don't agree with every decision made by BushCo re: TARP. Auto co's: America should have a functioning auto industry. We shouldn't attach an umbilical cord between the auto co's and Treasury. But we have to restructure. When risks are diminished, we get out, find private buyers. We shouldn't micromanage, but the American taxpayer has a right to scrutinized what's being proposed. We have to strike a balance. My job is to ask them, why is it you guys can't compete with Japan, etc? Give me a plan so you'r building off your strengths. The co's that emerge from this crisis, they'll be in a position to do really well globally. I want to help them get there, but we don't enjoy meddling in the private sector.
[He just cracked Helen Thomas up.]
I'd love a nice lean portfolio [he just listed the enormous list of crises he has to deal with].