By GottaLaff
I hope it's okay with the Commenter who posted this that I am putting it out front, but it was something I thought was well worth sharing with everyone. The post was in response to Keith Olbermann's hourlong Special Comment:
I was impressed with Keith's commentary. It put a lot of things about the American garbage system into perspective.Imagine that: Worry-free health care. Now imagine this: The Rushpublics and Blue Dogs see that as a threat. .sdrawkcaB
Being Canadians, we have the RIGHT to universal health care. Despite the chorus of lies rampant in the United States, we know that we have a superior health care system, in large part because it is universal, to what the vast majority of people have in the United States.
I have the same health care as the Premier of my province and as my Member of Parliament. The number of Americans who have the same health care as the Governor of their state and their Senators, I suspect, would be quite small. This defines the Canadian health care system and we have more rights and freedoms than Americans have.
We also have more disposable income after taxes (including health care- 82%) than Americans have as disposable income after taxes+ health insurance+copays (81.8%)
My mother had bypass surgery at age 72 within 3 days, yet many Americans lie about long waiting lists for such things. It would have been sooner than 2 1/2 days had it not been the opinion of the cardiologist that they should take the time to stabilize her further, since in her initial condition, she probably would have died on the operating table. My mother survived for a further ten years one month and one week after the bypass, before her heart finally failed at age 82 in 1997.
I've had four surgeries myself, in 4 days, 6 days for serious (not urgent) ones and 10 days and 16 days for two that were not serious. This is how things REALLY happen in the Canadian health care system.
Canada does NOT have "socialized medicine", except in the MISUSE of the term by most Americans. Canada has a "social insurance" system for health care.
Before 1962, there was no social insurance for medical needs in Canada. My father took sick with a rare and serious blood disease at age 40 in 1958. By the time he died, at age 41 in 1959 (when I was 7 years old), he had accumulated $6000 in medical bills. While it sounds to us today that $6000 in medical bills could be handled in short order, what it really meant is that my mother, as a teacher, in 1959 had an annual income of $3800 a year and had these $6000 in medical bills.
The Canadian system since 1962 has completely removed the worry of health care debt.