Saturday, October 10, 2009

President Obama addresses gay rights group: Liveblog

By GottaLaff

President Obama addresses gay rights group:
"You're making me blush."

He just said what a pleasure it was to be there opening for Lady Gaga. "I've made it!" Thanked the HRC.

He's been getting HUGE applause.

People still have outdated ways [paraphrase], but you're making a difference. That's the story of the movement of fairness and equality... for all those in history denied the rights of citizenship, not just gays.

You are making a difference.

Different kinds of families can show same compassion in time of need.. story of human rights campaign.

Adovcating on behalf of those living w/ HIV/AIDS. This fight continues now.

I have a simple message: I'm here with you in that fight. HUGE applause.

Progress has not come fast enough... it's important to be honest among friends.

It's not for me to tell you to be patient... but I will say, we have made progress. We will make more. There is not a single issue that does not touch on the lives of the LGBT community. We all have a stake in reviving economy, health care, schools... challenges in Iraq/Afghanistan.

While some may wish to define you by sexual orientation, nobody wants to be defined by only one part of what makes us whole... You're also parents, spouses worried about your job, soldiers, you are neighbors, friends, and most importantly Americans who care deeply about this country and its future.

So I know you want me working on jobs, etc. But my commitment to you is unwavering. Progress may take longer than you'd like, do not doubt the direction we are headed and the destination we will reach.

When you look back, you'll see a time when we put a stop to discrimination against gays/lesbians, incl. battlefield.

He's getting standing O's.

You will see a nation valuing these families... I am committed to these goals. We will fight to achieve them.

Referring to Matthew Shepard....

I met with Judy Shepard in May, promised we'd pass an inclusive hate crimes bill named for her son... we faced opposition, they never gave up, you never gave up, year after year... the House passed the bill... and after more than a decade, this bill is set to pass and I'll sign it into law!

Endless APPLAUSE, standing O.

It's a testament to Shepards... named for Sen. Ted Kennedy. Testament to HRC. Testament to Matthew and other victims of attacks... not just to break bones, to break spirits...

Closer to the day when no one has to be afraid to be gay in America.. no one has to fear walking down the street holding hand of one you love.

Closer to inclusive employee non-discrim. bill. Nobody should be fired because they're gay... We're gonna put a stop to it.

If any of my nominees are attacked for who they are, I'll stand by them.

We're invigorating response to HIV/AIDS, renewing Ryan White program.

We are rescinding ban on entry to U.S. based on HIV status.

We're moving ahead on Don't Ask Don't Tell... APPLAUSE. We should be celebrating Americans who show courage, esp. when we're fighting 2 wars. STANDING O.

We cannot afford to cut people with skills we need to fight... I'm working w/ Pentagon, House, Senate on ending DADT. I WILL END DON'T ASK DON'T TELL, THAT IS MY COMMITMENT TO YOU.

Can we transcend old attitudes? Will we uphold ideals that all of us are equal? I believe we can, I believe we will.

And that is why I support insuring the committed gay couples... I believe strongly in stopping laws that take rights away.

I've called on Congress to repeal Defense of Marriage Act. HUGE APPLAUSE, STANDING O.

We must all stand together against divisive efforts. It's about our common humanity.

Talking about hospital visitation, law treating you like a stranger.

We should admit that too many don't know urgency of this struggle.

We stand with LGBT families, and not just in front of gay audiences. Continue to pressure leaders, INCLUDING ME.

No one is a second class citizen...

Bringing up how younger gays must keep the "secret"... I believe the future is bright for that young person.

These ideals are what made it possible for ME to stand here today. That's the promise of America, HRC... the promise we are fulfilling!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts