Thursday, March 26, 2009

Why House Committee wanted Rove behind closed doors

By GottaLaff


More time? That was it? Really?
The House Judiciary Committee chose to interview former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove behind closed doors because they wanted more time to question him, and not as a concession to Bush Administration representatives, sources say.

It was our choice,” one House Judiciary aide told Raw Story.
I'm a big proponent of freedom of choice. Does that mean I have to support this decision?
According to two Judiciary Committee aides, the committee opted for the private testimony so that they could depose Rove for an extended period of time. During a public hearing, each committee member would have only a few minutes to ask questions.
I am now a supporter.
We could question him for 12 hours if we choose to,” said one of the aides.
I am now a huge supporter.
Both aides confirmed that Rove would not be sworn in before his testimony but explained that testimony before Congress is de facto sworn testimony and any false statements would in fact be perjury regardless.

Asked why in that case Congress bothers to swear people in during public hearings, one of the aides quipped, “Because it looks good.”
I'm sorry, what? Seriously... huh? Is it just me, or shouldn't this swearing in stuff be taken a little more literally?
Rove’s attorney, Robert Luskin, confirmed that his client had not requested to be deposed in private. [...]

Don Siegelman, the former Alabama governor who was convicted of bribery charges in 2006 and released on appeal this year, said he agreed with the Committee’s decision to question Rove behind closed doors.

Rove can always be called back before the full Committee for a public hearing if there is reason for the Committee to do so,” Siegelman said in an email. “If the investigation and interrogation of Rove is done thoroughly then we will see Rove again in public testifying after first having been properly sworn in.
I am now even more of a supporter than I was a few paragraphs ago.
No date has yet been set for Rove’s deposition. Rove is expected to testify after the Judiciary Committee receives documents from former White House Counsel Harriet Miers and former White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten. [...]

The Judiciary Committee aides would not say whether the documents have been provided to the Committee already or how far along they were in the process of obtaining them.

Asked if Rove’s testimony will be made public immediately, one Judiciary aide said it would not.
Oh, come on!
We want to question other people and call Rove in again if necessary,” the aide said. “We don’t want any testimony to be influenced.”
Okay, you assuaged me all over again. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut until you're finished.
The aide explained that they want to be sure that Rove and the others to be deposed do not “compare notes,” but that all testimony will be released to the public when the investigation is concluded.
Fair enough. I'm shutting up now.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts