Friday, February 6, 2009

Mayor to Palin: You can't see Russia from here

By GottaLaff


Interview Me Elmo Sarah just got suh-napped by a Connecticut mayor.
Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin disclosed this week that she named her daughter Bristol at least in part after the hometown of sports giant ESPN.

Palin told Esquire magazine there were three meanings behind her eldest daughter’s name.

The Alaskan governor said she once worked at a place called the Bristol Inn, and her husband grew up in Bristol Bay in southwest Alaska, a big salmon fishing spot.

But, she said, she also had in mind the Bristol, Conn., headquarters of the worldwide leader in sports.

“When I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster,” Palin told the magazine. “ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that’s what I was going to do in life, be one of the first woman sportscasters.

“Until I learned that you’d have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol,” Palin said.

Mayor Art Ward said that it probably worked out for the best.

You can’t see Russia from here,” Ward said.

Excuse me, someone just handed me this message. Oh, looky here. It's breaking, or more appropriately, broken, news. Cue urgent-sounding newsy fanfare:

[P]eople have tried to find out if Palin, a former television sportscaster in Anchorage, ever applied for a job at ESPN. But nothing’s ever turned up to indicate that Palin ever tried to snag a job with the company.
ESPN's gain. Interview-Me's credibility's loss, and there's nothing breaking-newsy about that.

H/t: Clancy

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts