By GottaLaff
Watching Robert Gibbs on CSPAN 2 right now, is getting lots of questions about President Obama's reaction to Michael Jackson's death. Global warming? Not so much, as Gibbs noted.
But wait! Someone just picked up on a new subject... Ir... Ira... Iran! Yeah, that's it.
Gibbs:
President Obama is taking pains not to interject himself into Iran equation.
Hear that, J Sid McC?
Helen:
Carter said people in Gaza treated like animals. Reaction?
Gibbs: I haven't seen the statement, but that comprehensive peace can bring security to all the Middle East. Hopes for opportunity for Palestinians, wants powers to come together.
Helen: He doesn't speak of Palestinians right to exist. Do they?
Gibbs: Absolutely, Helen. [Refers back to Cairo speech.] Repeats stability, security, opportunity for everyone line.
Helen: Repeats.
Gibbs: We'll pull the Cairo speech...
Helen: I'm talking about other things. He doesn't speak of Palestinians
Gibbs: Go back and look at his comments. He's very clear on this.
Chip Reid asks if Obama "more forceful" words gave Iran ammo.
Gibbs responds: "Interesting 180 on your question earlier in the week." ...He's done what he needs to do to make sure he doesn't become a foil for the Iran regime.... He spoke out forcefully against violence from the very beginning. Obama will continue to speak out. Events will have to play out.
WSJ: Merkel called for recount. does O agree?
G: thats's for the Iranians to work out.
CBS Q on climate bill, did Prez O make any calls?
Gibbs: He's made a few calls.
Q: Prez threatened to veto defense appropriations bill. Still stand?
A: Absolutely. Gates has a robust plan that makes sense for the future. He and others recommended veto.
Q: Schumer said a comprehensive immigration bill in order. Naturalization and border security in same package?
A: I haven't talked to them about that. Verifiable systems to check employees when hired, borders, pathway to citizenship, that's comprehensive reform.
STOP THE PRESSES!
Q: Did Obamas ever meet Michael Jackson?
A: I don't think so.
Q: Any announcements planned on gay issues? DOMA and DODT.
A: No.
Q: Another Michael Jackson question. Oy. Why no written statement?
A: I thought I do a pretty good job. There wasn't gonna be a statement, I asked Prez O today, and as his spokesman, I passed that on to you.
Q: Bill Press, health care reform. Who's driving this train, re: public option?
A: Prez O set his priorities, said it's a long negotiation. Believes public option provides important choice, competition. Both committees are working on his goals.
Q: Will Prez say no bill w/o public plan?
A: Lots of twists and turns till bill gets to desk. He's been clear. Over 100 amendments from Rs have been adopted in committee. Ds and Rs are working together to further some of those goals.
David Corn: DOMA case.
A: Filed by solicitor general of this admin.
Q: Who has O spoken to about Iran. Experts.
A: Don't know of anyone in particular he's spoken to.
I'll stop here.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Robert Gibbs on Iran + on Palestine, spars with Helen Thomas + more
blog comments powered by Disqus