Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reid's pushing Caroline

By GottaLaff

http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/12/15/14405635/1215dv_kennedy_senate.jpg
Just FYI:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) is recommending Caroline Kennedy for the seat to-be vacated by Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) once she is named Secretary of State, First Read has learned.

Reid also spoke with Nevada political journalist Jon Ralston:

REID: "She's 52 years old. I've spoken to her. She was part of a vetting process for vice presidential choices for Obama. She's lived in government and politics her whole life. I think it would be a tremendous thing. ... We have a lot of stars from New York. Bobby Kennedy. Hillary Clinton. I think Caroline Kennedy would be perfect."

RALSTON: "So, are you going to call the governor of New York and say, "'She's fine in my book?'"

REID: "I already have."
Since yesterday's post, she's apparently aged two years.

UPDATE-- Ambinder's take:

[I]t struck me, nonetheless, how quickly Kennedy was able to clear the field.

The big misnomer, of course, is that Hillary Clinton was arguing against Kennedy. She wasn't. Some of her supporters were -- and they've been told to knock it off. [...]

So -- with Clinton not protesting, Caroline Kennedy had it made. She's very likeable and has lots of friends, including the governor. She'll raise a ton of money in an instant. She has no baggage. An appealing personal history. And -- most importantly -- the implied support of the President-elect.

The other big factor: Kennedy consultant Josh Isay. He's THISCLOSE to Sen. Chuck Schumer. Schumer is Harry Reid's chief political adviser. Reid's enthusiasm today bubbled over. You can see the tectonic plates moving if you look closely.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts