Saturday, December 5, 2009

"The past year is the first one in my life that has been entirely violence-free"

By GottaLaff

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/society/img/22758_child_abuse_big.jpg

I like blogging on Saturdays, because it's the pace is a little slower, and I get to post things that I ordinarily wouldn't have time to during the week.

I have a 19-year-old friend who wrote some very poignant and noteworthy thoughts that we would like to share with you:
From the time I was born until a year ago, I was a victim of family violence. Today I am a survivor.

I've survived with the help of counselors, friends, the family I've been staying with, and my writing.

The past year is the first one in my life that has been entirely violence-free.

Almost every adult in my family has hit me at one time or another, most of them repeatedly. Until a year ago, I was always afraid to get my family members in trouble, and I am still not completely ready to go public with my story. But I do want to publish my poetry anonymously and encourage any other victims to seek help. The first night without family is the hardest, but having a home where you're not afraid is definitely worth the newness.

I wrote this my first night with friends, and today I'm not a stranger, fully a person, sometimes still crying, and I've redefined family.
Pretty room in a pretty house.
My things are here.

I am a stranger.
Half here
Half crying
Half a person
Less than half
a family.

A vacation visit
but I can't go home.
Home is gone.
Family gone.
Now I am gone.
I wrote this a few days later, but have since made peace with my changed family circumstances.
"You do as I say!"
"But not as You do."
"I WILL make you listen."
"Forever I do."

Bruises and welts-
Hurt through and through.
Family gone now.
Forever gone too.
If you can't even imagine a violence-free year, it's time to get help. Your community can be there for you.
Woven to make a net
The arms of the community
Catch us when we fall
Or when we are pushed.

Woven into a hug
The arms of the community
Hold us when we hurt
Or when we are hurt.

Woven with bonds of love
The arms of the community
Hug us until we
Can hug them back.
The young author is the very definition of bravery, the very essence of survivor, and one who knows profound pain all too well and is learning to conquer it. She is someone who I truly admire.

Thank you for allowing me to post this. I hope it will circulate widely enough to be seen by so many who need to read it.

You have provided others in your situation with inspiration: an outline of the courage it takes to confront devastation, the knowledge that there are people who want to help, and the wisdom to realize they can do something about it.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts