Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Look who's uniting to launch federal challenge to Prop 8

By GottaLaff

When Pigs Fly Animated GIF Pork Bacon Hog
I looked up to the sky, and zomg! What did I see? I saw a piggy with wings:
Oh boy, now the Obama administration will have to take its head out of the sand as the stakes have been raised by an outfit called the American Foundation for Equal Rights.
Two of the nation's top litigators who opposed each other in the Bush v. Gore election challenge in 2000 have joined forces to seek federal court intervention in California's gay marriage controversy.

Theodore B. Olson and David Boies have filed a U.S. District Court lawsuit on behalf of two gay men and two gay women, arguing that the California constitutional amendment eliminating the right of gay couples to marry violates the U.S. constitutional guarantee of equal protection and due process.

The LAT:
Their suit, to be filed in U.S. District Court in California, calls for an injunction against the proposition, allowing immediate reinstatement of marriage rights for same-sex couples.

...Legal scholars have observed that proponents of gay marriage have avoided taking the issue to federal court so far because of the dominance of conservative judges and justices on the federal bench after the eight-year tenure of President George W. Bush.

The Advocate begs to differ:

As for the timing of the suit, Olson said that recent decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court "make it clear that individuals are entitled to be treated equally under the Constitution. I'm reasonably confident that this is the right time for these [injustices] to be vindicated."

...Olson said his law firm and others also are contributing resources pro bono. [...] Olson and his representatives declined to specify who was funding the campaign.

You say potato, I say po-tah-to....
http://www.themonitor.ca/imgs/dynamique/articles/gros/Odd_couple.jpg

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts