By GottaLaff
If you're not already watching...
Republican presidential nominee John McCain said tonight that Andrew M. Cuomo, the Democratic attorney general of New York and a former Cabinet member in Bill Clinton's administration, is a person he could see replacing Christopher Cox as the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission. [...]McCain also promised to move the White House's office of political affairs -- an office formerly headed by Karl Rove and targeted by a key congressional Democrat for budget cuts -- out of the federal government and into the Republican National Committee's control.
"It's time to show the American people that politics will not be part of this massive effort we're going to have to go on, to restore our nation's economy," McCain said.
Obama said that he believes his biracial identity will be "a wash" when it comes to Election Day, despite what he said has been "millions" of dollars spent trying to "scare people" about his candidacy.
"Now are there going to be some people who don't vote for me because I'm black? Of course," he said. "There are probably some African Americans who are voting for me because I'm black. Or maybe others who are just inspired by the idea of breaking new ground. And so I think all that's a wash."
Obama also addressed criticism that he's not experienced enough.
"One of the things I'm good at is getting people in a room with a bunch of different ideas, who sometimes violently disagree with each other, and finding common ground and a sense of common direction," he said. "And that's the kind of approach that I think prevents you from making some of the enormous mistakes that we've seen over the last eight years."
Both candidates sounded themes that their campaigns have put into ads. Obama criticized McCain for his continued support for the Iraq war, and McCain blasted Obama for wanting to raise taxes on people who make more than $250,000.
Asked whether the economic troubles mean that the Bush administration has failed, McCain said, "I say the Bush administration has failed. I say the Congress has failed, Democrats and Republicans. I remind you the Democrats have had the majority in Congress for the last two years. So everybody's failed."
Um, Gramm-pa? The Republicans blocked pretty much everything the Democrats wanted to do, setting a record for the number of filibusters they threw at them.
Obama, too, criticized Bush, linking him to McCain on the war.
"According to the McCain mythology, I guess the Iraq war started with the surge," Obama said. "They seem to forget that there were five years before that where they got everything wrong."
Grammps seems to forget any number of things.