Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The infamous McJoke about rape

By GottaLaff

Whether you're male or female, rape isn't funny. To me, it's not something you make crass, despicable jokes about. I'm a comedy writer and former comedy club performer. Humor is my life, and guess what, J Sid. I know funny. This is not funny:

I managed to dig up this gem from his [McCain's] 1986 race for US Senate, as quoted in the Tucson Citizen:

Did you hear the one about the woman who is attacked on the street by a gorilla, beaten senseless, raped repeatedly and left to die? When she finally regains consciousness and tries to speak, her doctor leans over to hear her sigh contently and to feebly ask, ‘Where is that marvelous ape?’

I find rape jokes are always a sign of class, don’t you?

At the time, McCain’s spokesperson (Torrie Clark, yes, that one) alleged that this was story was some manipulation by the Richard Kimball campaign. Yep, it’s always the other guy’s fault. I wonder if the reporter on that story, Norma Coile, was treated to the screaming phone call that McCain has treated so many local reporters to when they dare write a negative story about him. [Laffy Note: See my earlier post about his treatment of negative press]

UPDATE - Because you demanded it, here is a PDF of the original article from 1986.

First the C-word, then the Rick Renzi punch-out, now this. But he was a P.O.W., so that automatically qualifies him to be president of the United States. Following that line of reasoning, I guess his sense of humor qualifies him to be a clergyman.

H/t: Commenters Clancy and Bucky

PADDY UPDATE- The PDF link doesn't seem to be working, so here is a link to a bunch more links to back up this story.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts