By GottaLaff
Ashcroft: We pursue and prevent attacks. Our responsibility isn't to blame someone for 9/11, but to prevent.
Steve Cohen: Did Bush administration ever recommend change, or just do what they want?
Ashcroft: Bush administration never tortured. I can't talk about things since the law changed.
Cohen: Did you ever give Bush the benefit of the doubt?
Ashcroft: We always do. Sometimes you just say no.
Cohen: How will you will be judged?
Ashcroft: History is already judging this administration as being successful in deterring threats. I am confident that the Constitution has been upheld.
There should be robust debate. People have differing legal opinions and eventually someone has to decide. The president comes down on the side of the DoJ. What's wrong with that...? Eventually you get to the right decision. That's what a free society does, vigorous debate, you get controversy, and the right decision! I'm ready to get up and sing the National Anthem.. pardon me, my apologies.
Laffy Note: The Republicans keep apologizing to Ashcroft for the "tone" of the questions.
I need oxygen.
UPDATE: Sheila Jackson Lee: Should there be an independent prosecutor appointed? Ashcroft: No.
Lee: Future steps?
Ashcroft: Congress should frame laws that define conduct. But there are limits.
Lee: Congress has questions the abuse of power, and has an obligation to assess missteps that have occurred. Oversee. Hold back the abuse of power.
Dellinger: Having special prosecutors, generally, unwise... except contempt of Congress.
Lee: Hearings, potential processes allowed by Constitution then. Not necessarily impeachment, but... Describe your condition when you were in the hospital the night you read the document and said something harsh.
Ashcroft: I can recall. The records are private. While I don't want to argue with others' representations, I won't recount what happened. I was in ICU for a week, no food or drink. I was both thirsty and hungry so I might have been grouchy (laughs).
Lee: Gonzales and Card were there, had a torture memo. So if you were dehydrated, there was excessive abuse of power.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Torture hearings, Part 2
blog comments powered by Disqus