By GottaLaff
King: The New Yorker cover.
Obama: I don't think they were entirely successful at it, but it's a cartoon. That's why we have the first amendment. People are more worried about the housing market, Iraq... When you run for president, you get a pretty thick skin. I've seen and heard worse. In attempting to satirize something, they fueled some misconceptions about me instead. It's their judgment, and it's a cartoon.
King: 12% of America thinks your Muslim, 26% think you were raised in Muslim home. How do you deal with that?
Obama: I come on Larry King... telling everyone I'm Christian, that I wasn't raised in a Muslim home, that I pledge allegiance to the flag.. All you can do is tell the truth, trust in the American people, that they know what the truth is. ... This is actually an insult against Muslim Americans. There are wonderful Muslim Americans across the country, and for this to be used to raise suspicions about me, it's an insult to them and not what America is about.
King: You gave a speech today. What's your agenda?
Obama: My agenda is to keep America safe. Meet longterm national security interests. Show the difference between myself and John McCain. He said we'd be greeted as liberators, he's focused on tactical issues in Iraq. The surge reduced violence, but what Bush and McCain missed is the broader strategy. Was it wise to go in there? The costs of staying indefinitely.... are $10 billion a month. Meanwhile the central front of terrorism is in Afghanistan, Perpetuating the present strategy is costing us elsewhere, in Afghanistan and in investments here at home. Imagine the money we could invest in clean energy technology. We're spending 200 billion in a surge in Iraq. Not a wise policy. I do want to consult with commanders on the ground...
King: McCain says you're wrong about the surge and your Iraq proposals. [Shows clip of McCain: "Obama's going to Iraq, speaking today about his plans before he's even left, or talked to Petraeus... or set foot in Afghanistan for the first time..."]
Obama: McCain is involved in a political campaign, I understand that. He suggested that we've changed our mind about our plan.. he's confused. There's a difference between tactics and strategy. Strategically it's time to bring the war to an end. We'll be out 2 years from now, which is not precipitous withdrawal. We'll leave a residual force there. But this gives us ample time to wind this thing down while supporting what's happening in Afghanistan and relieve the stress on military families. It's not sustainable. Not to mention the $10 billion a month, when we have enormous needs at home. We have 7000 a day going through foreclosure. Gas prices are hitting people. We need to have another round of stimulus, energy rebates. My job as president will be to look at the total picture, not just narrow slices as McCain is doing.
King: What would you do to get Bin laden?
Obama: I said last August, this administration failed, let him get away. If we had actionable intelligence on high-value targets, we should go after them. To be effective at a resurgence of Al Qaeda we have to have a stronger relationship with the New Pakistani government. Musharraf lost credibility. Form an alliance with the Pakistani people, increase aid... support democratic efforts. In exchange, there should be firmness about going after Al Qaeda And the Taliban.
King: Would you go in, militarily?
Obama: If there were actionable intelligence.
King: Would you bring him back? Capture him? Or kill him?
Obama: If he were to be captured, we'd put him on trial. He'd deserve the death penalty.
King: How would you deal with our generals, chiefs of staff, etc.? Would they be important, would they be deciding?
Obama: It's critically important to have a relationship with them. I'm so impressed with their work, even with a misguided mission. They have skill, precision. Petraeus has done well with what's been dealt to him. I have differences with Bush and McCain: As commander in chief, I set the mission to determine the strategy...then I would ask the military to carry it out. How I would set strategy is to be informed, but the buck stops with me. Bush has said, Petraeus told me what to do. The American government doesn't work that way. The commander in chief takes all national security interests into account... develops a strategy: Lock down loose nukes, make sure we have an energy policy that frees us from foreign oil, etc.
King: VP search?
Obama: I won't talk about the process until I introduce my vice presidential nominee. The process is going well, we have extraordinary talent. I'll choose someone who will have a similar vision, who sees the need to fundamentally change how Washington works.
King: How will you utilize Bill Clinton?
Obama: Bill Clinton is one of the smartest people out here. He's got great relationships across the globe. I want him as an advisor, to be involved in implementing strategies on a range of issues. All former presidents are valuable... Bush Sr., his team, like Jim Baker, Brent Scowcroft, Colin Powell are extraordinary thinkers. Bring bipartisanship back to Washington.
King: Your look at ongoing economics, the bailout problem...
Obama: It's a huge disaster! So much could be prevented: Simple reforms around Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, curb predatory lending. Now, I'm glad to hear Bush has embraced the housing bill from Congress. ... Stabilize homeowners now who can pay a mortgage but are in over their heads. We want to make sure we don't bail out CEOs and shareholders, but maintain liquidity in the housing market... Lenders can start to adjust, write down bad debt. Get back to where people are confident, identify sound borrowers, get credit flowing again.
