By GottaLaff
Franks: What was your goal, and how did you pursue it?
Ashcroft: Anything within our power and within the law to defend America. We have to think outside the box, I said, but never outside the Constitution. We gotta change. If you don't you've got the same thing you had before. When it comes to national defense, use the legal tools available tous.
Franks: I love you, marry me. Nuclear proliferation makes us look at things differently.
Tammy Baldwin: What is the role of the NSC with regard to authorizing detainee interrogations and mistreatment?
Ashcroft: The AG doesn't meet with them often, so it's beyond my expertise.
Tammy: Since then, did you come across evidence of crimes by govt officials?
Ashcroft: Classified meetings, so I won't comment.
Tammy: Who has ultimate decision? White House, Justice, Defense, CIA... etc.?
Ashcroft: Different agencies made different decisions on techniques and situations. Opinions are limited, relating to interrogation of Al Qaeda outside the U.S., so don't apply to detentions in other settings.
Tammy: Allies in war on terror: Condone or use techniques of torture?
Ashcroft: (stuttering...pause ).. I have not witnessed anything to cause me to have that awareness.
Tammy: And the US turning over detainees to allies for interrogation? Are you aware?
Ashcroft: (pause) I can't say. ...
Gohmert(R-Texas): I love you, marry me. [lots of talk, missed some]
Ashcroft: When Congress wants to verify, not rely on trust, I'm fine with that, but be careful before you accuse someone of a crime. It stuns me when people call others "criminals", and the ones who do are "liberal" and rights oriented. But it was my job to protect their right to do so. We have to be tolerant... but that's [criminal] a term that should be used with great care.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Torture hearings, Part 5
blog comments powered by Disqus