By GottaLaff
My impassioned 72-year-old Twitter pal, who goes by the name 42bkdodgr, would like to share his feelings about the increasingly worrisome (read: scary) and very frustrating events of late. I am more than happy to oblige.
But first, a personal note from 42bkdodgr:
Many of you may wonder why I chose to use the “ 72 year old friend” as the introduction to my Special Comments. I selected the moniker so readers could see that from my age and life experiences I give a different perspective to the issues of today.
Now for his Special Comment:
Disheartened
I sit hear before my computer a very sad, frustrated, discouraged and disheartened person as I write this Special Comment.
I feel this way and it makes me shudder, when I think about the craziness that has been going on in our nation in the last couple of months, such as:
* Texas Board of Education rewriting history books.
* Virginia making April Confederate History Month.
* Passage of Arizona Immigration Law.
* The open carry guns rally in a National park.
* Nebraska setting limits on abortion.
* GOP Congressional candidate proposes installing microchips on illegal immigrants.
* Candidate for Governor in Nevada suggesting that the barter system be used to pay doctors for medical services.
Then we have the Party of NO blocking bills from coming to the Senate floor for debate by using the Cloture Rule on almost everything that is presented by the Democrats. Republicans did it with Healthcare Reform, extension of Unemployment Insurance, and now they are doing it with Financial Reform.
When fighting the Health Care Bill, Republicans said the bill shouldn’t be passed because over 60% of Americans were against the bill. Now they are against the Financial Reform Bill, even though over 60% of Americans want the passage of the bill.
During the healthcare debate, Republicans complained about the lack of transparency, because of the closed door deals made to get the necessary Democratic Committee votes.
Now, the Republicans want all Committee discussions on Financial Reform to be done behind close door and not seen on CSPAN. I guess they are afraid the public will see how weak their arguments are against the passage of the bill.
Time and time again Republicans prove they don’t care about the common man. With health care their masters were the health insurance companies, and now for financial reform they serve at the foot of the banking and brokerage industry.
Republicans are truly “HYPOCRITES”.
I think we will continue to see more odd laws, policies and outrageous statements being adopted by other states and made by politicians; and the Republicans will not stop being the Party of No and Obstructionism.
It is quite possible that the manner in which Congress is currently operating will continue for many years to come, no matter which party controls Congress or the White House.
All this makes me disheartened because, when I take into consideration all of the above plus the hatred in this country, I feel the wheels are coming off in America.
Many thanks again for another thorough, relevant piece, 42bkdodgr. You often say what many of us are thinking and feeling, and we thank you for your unique perspective.