Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chart: Which GOP lawmakers are for/against AZ racial profiling law

By GottaLaff

Think Progress has put together a chart showing which GOP lawmakers have publicly come out for or against the Arizona racial profiling law :



FOR THE LAW NON-COMMITTAL AGAINST THE LAW
Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-CA): “They will look at the kind of dress you wear. There’s different type of attire. … There’s behavior things that professionals are trained in across the board. And this group shouldn’t be exempt from those observations as much as anybody else.” Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ): “And my own view is until the federal government does our part back here by providing the resources that are necessary, and that could include, by the way, the financial resources to support National Guard troops on the border, then you are going to see more of this. It won’t just be the state of Arizona that passes laws like this.” Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (R-FL): “I strongly disagree with the Arizona immigration law.”
Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA): “[I]f that’s what the people of Arizona want to do, then certainly they have that right.” Sen. John McCain (R-AZ): “I haven’t had a chance to look at all the aspects, but I do understand why the Legislature would act.”
Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK): “I don’t see anything wrong with that [the Arizona law].” Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY): “I haven’t studied it.”
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA): “I think that Arizona has a point, which is the federal government has not done a good enough job. … And if it’s a message to the administration they need to do a better job, then a state has to right to send that message.”
Rep. Steve King (R-IA): “I commend Arizona for standing up for the Rule of Law and protecting American workers.”

"I haven't studied it." Neither have I, but I sure get the gist and I have no problem opining about what a terrible law it is. Not exactly a tough call. Study that, senators.

It’s noteworthy to point out that in addition to Diaz-Balart and Graham, one of the only other high-profile Republican to criticize the law is GOP Republican candidate Marco Rubio, who is Cuban-American like Diaz-Balart.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts