Wednesday, August 19, 2009

D.C. delegate calls for ban on guns near Obama

By GottaLaff

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/08/18/obama.protest.rifle/art.obama.gun.pool.jpg
(via)

When you have the hostility and boiling-over tempers that we've witnessed at political events, extra precautions become necessary. There is no reason assault weapons should be allowed anywhere near the president, especially in this new atmosphere of violence:
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) called on the Homeland Security Department and the U.S. Secret Service on Wednesday to provide tighter restrictions on citizens carrying weapons, openly or concealed, while in the vicinity of President Barack Obama. [...]

It is clear that if the Secret Service can temporarily clear all aircraft from air space when the president is in the vicinity, the agency has the authority to clear guns on the ground that are even closer to the President,” Norton said.

But the Secret Service says that Obama was never in danger when a group of about a dozen protesters brandished their firearms outside the Phoenix convention center earlier this week where he was speaking.
Apparently, the Gun Guys were outside of the "outer-most perimeter of security". That's nice. Gosh, I feel so much better now. How's about you, the rest of the un-armed crowd?
But the Brady Campaign, a gun control group, said that these increasing instances of brandishing firearms in public could lead to escalated scenarios in the future that put the president at risk because it stretches law enforcement thin.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather our streets not resemble those of the Old West. Casual access to lethal weapons in a public setting where the gun-toters are part of an angry crowd isn't my idea of insuring domestic tranquility.

And yes, I believe in the Second Amendment. I also believe in safety first.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts