Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Republican hypocrisy: Special Comment by my 72-year-old friend

By GottaLaff



I have a very caring, impassioned Twitter pal who goes by the name 42bkdodgr, one who I've actually had the pleasure to spend some time with. He wanted to share his feelings about recent events, and I am more than happy to oblige. I've posted several other Special Comments by him that have gotten wonderful response.

His latest rant concerns hypocrisy of what's left of the Rushpublic party, most recently regarding health care reform. Take it away, 42bkdodgr:
It’s me again, the 72 year old guy, and I want to talk about the hypocrisy and "bipartisanship" of the Republican Party.

When the end-of-life provision in the Health Care Reform bill has been discussed recently we have heard such remarks from Sen. Grassley, (“pulling the plug on grandma”) and Ex-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (“Death Panels “).

Yet both of them supported such a provision in the recent past; (1) Sen. Grassley supported end-of-life provision in the 2003 Medicare prescription drug bill. Basically the only difference between the two bills is that the drug bill pertained to terminally ill patients; (2) Gov Palin supported such a concept in April 2008, in a proclamation announcing “Healthcare Decision Day”.

Their switch in positions just shows what hypocrites they are.

So I ask Christian conservatives of the Republican Party, how you can just let them change their position on a dime without questioning their motives? Why do you just follow them like lemmings? Can’t you see they don’t have your interests at heart when their change is basically for ideological reasons, and they do it by putting the fear of change in your minds? I wonder if you even know that Sen. Grassley supported end-of-life consultations for terminally ill people. If you did, why didn’t you protest having such consultations then? Why should consultations only be allowed to the terminally ill, yet deny it to those who are healthy?

Don’t you understand that a catastrophic illness can happen to a young person as well as a senior citizen?

But worse of all was Sen. Grassley's behavior as a member of a six person sub-committee of the Senate Finance Committee chaired by Sen. Max Baucus. The aim of the committee is to move toward a bipartisanship agreement on a health care plan. For Sen. Grassley to say, during the committee’s summer recess, that there will be no public option in the plan shows me that he isn’t interested in working in a bipartisanship manner.

So I say to you President Obama, please remove the word “bipartisanship” from your vocabulary, because the Republicans have shown since you been in office that they have no idea what it means... or if they do, how it should work. President Obama, by getting the Democrats to work together, you will be able to accomplish what the majority of the people want, a Health Care Reform bill with a public option.
Well done and thank you, 42bkdodgr, you nailed another one.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts