Wednesday, July 29, 2009

911 caller in Gates incident speaks

By GottaLaff

She says the criticism has been so painful she was afraid to speak up. People said she was racist, she feared for her safety. If the press could get to her mother, then it was time for her to come forward. Wendy Murphy, her lawyer, smacked down "the three men" and now Lucia Whalen speaks:

"I knew the truth, but I didn't speak up right away, because I didn't want to add to the controversy."
She got support, so she felt she could speak. She's in tears. She is talking about how she was raced to treat people equally, not a racist.
I was called racist, and I was a target of scorn and ridicule, because of the things I NEVER said... The criticism hurt me as a person, and the community of Cambridge. Now that the tapes are out I hope people can see I was trying to be careful and honest with my words. It never occurred to me that ... my words would be analyzed by an entire nation. But so many have responded with words of support, I hope now that the truth of the tapes will help heal the Cambridge community as much as it has helped to restore my reputation and integrity.

I also want to say that I respect the Cambridge police as well as Prof. Gates, and I hope my decision to speak out doesn't add to controversy...
The only words I exchanged were I was the 911 caller and he said stay right there... re: did she talk to Crowley.

Inaccuracies in police report? Her lawyer says no comment.

What would you say to them as they have the beer date tomorrow? I haven't thought about that.

I hope people learn not to judge others.

Race relations? No comment.

I was born here, of Portuguese decent.

What was most hurtful? No comment.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts