By GottaLaff

"The Geithner plan has now been leaked in detail. It's exactly the plan that was widely analyzed -- and found wanting -- a couple of weeks ago. The zombie ideas have won."I'd love to know why the Obama administration isn't listening to Krugman. And if they are listening, I'd love to know what they think of this:
In effect, Treasury will be creating — deliberately! — the functional equivalent of Texas S&Ls in the 1980s: financial operations with very little capital but lots of government-guaranteed liabilities. For the private investors, this is an open invitation to play heads I win, tails the taxpayers lose. So sure, these investors will be ready to pay high prices for toxic waste. After all, the stuff might be worth something; and if it isn’t, that’s someone else’s problem.At President Obama's press conference, I hope they confront him with questions about Krugman's statements, and then insist on substantive answers.
Or to put it another way, Treasury has decided that what we have is nothing but a confidence problem, which it proposes to cure by creating massive moral hazard.Sigh. What an awful mess.This plan will produce big gains for banks that didn’t actually need any help; it will, however, do little to reassure the public about banks that are seriously undercapitalized. And I fear that when the plan fails, as it almost surely will, the administration will have shot its bolt: it won’t be able to come back to Congress for a plan that might actually work.
What an awful mess.