Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama speaks: Transparency

By GottaLaff


President Obama is at a swearing-in ceremony for his White House staff. He's speaking, but I could only catch some of it... he was going quickly:

Public service is a privilege, not for advancing friends and corporate clients, and agenda.... it's about advancing the interests of Americans.

All of you are here to build a more responsible, more accountable America....

I will be freezing the salaries of some of my staff... It's what's required of you at this moment, to mark your commitment to public service...

The people deserve a government of, by, and for the people. Close the door to lobbyists... Today we will fulfill a promise: A clean break... as of today, lobbyists will be subject to stricter limits than any administration in history. [He sets out rules, and I can't type that fast]. A ban on gifts to anyone in the administration.

The rules are not tough enough. So, there will be new rules for lobbyists and all those serving in my administration. [lists rules... we'll post more later]

The government must be transparent... the directives I'm giving today on how to interpret the Freedom Of Information Act will do just that.... Starting today, every agency should know that this administration stands on the side to make information known. Of course, privacy and national security will be treated with care.

Anytime the American people want to know something I want to withhold, we will have to meet with counsel. A separate authority will have to agree.

Our commitment to openness goes further: Recognizing that gov't officials have to draw on the public for what they need to know.

Involve Americans to shape policy... This doesn't go as far as it needs to go, but they mark a new era of openness. I hope to do something to make government trustworthy... that's a pretty good place to start.

As Paddy and I were just saying, that screeching sound you hear is the lobbyists ... going out of their minds.

He just told his staff how proud he is of them, of their sacrifices to be there, their families' sacrifices. "What a moment we're in, what an opportunity we have to change this country. These kinds of moment come around just so often. The American people are counting on us now. Let's not let them down [paraphrased]."

Joe Biden: "My memory's not as good as Justice Roberts'. " Suh-nap!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts