By GottaLaff
The boys got all frothed up, I was curious, and allowed my nose for "real news" to propel us out of our way and over to the vans. I was secretly hoping to have something of worth to post, and the boys were up for some good fodder for text messages.
We drove up and I flagged down one of the techies. The big news story? The reason not one, but two vans with outsized antennae were stationed in a mall parking lot at 5:30 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon? The weather.
The weather.
FYI, at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, it was sunny with a few clouds.
They were waiting for rain. No, I'm not kidding. The techie told me that with a straight face. I thought he was kidding, so I pressed him. He was a sweet guy who insisted that they were, indeed, there to report rain. Rain that wasn't due for at least 5 hours or so. "I wouldn't lie about this," he said, adding, "I like the way you approached me. It's important to be honest." He smiled broadly and we shook hands through the car window.
Two vans, costing the station money and time, were anticipating... waiting... so that they, ABC News, could report that first drop. Breaking News! It's winter in Simi Valley!
It is now nearly 9 a.m. It still hasn't rained.
