Monday, October 26, 2009

Liveblog: Harry Reid talks health care and public OPTion

By GottaLaff

Please note that the president supports this, and it has no trigger, does have co-ops and public option with opt out.

Liveblogging Harry Reid:

We're all optimistic about reform because of progressive momentum.

Public option: I've always been a strong supporter. It is not a silver bullet. It's an important way to level playing field with insurance industry. I've concluded that best way is to include the opt out provision for states. The states will have ability to opt out if they so choose. A p.o. will achieve meaningful reform, protect consumers, so we will include it in the bill.

We've consulted with senators with desire to reform the system. Today's development, sending the bill to the CBO in the next few hours, for scoring, will make us a step closer to achieving choice, quality care.

Q: Greater chance with p.o. to pass hcr?
A: It's been talked about a lot, I believe in it... polls show wide majority support p.o. The senate bill must have a p.o in it.

They'll have till 2014... (missed question) UPDATE: The states have until 2014 to opt out.

Q: 60 votes?
A: We've been working on hcr since 1948. We've made progress these past months. America believes, I believe, my caucus believes we should have hcr.

Q: Trigger?
A: No.

Can't hear some of the questions....

Q: Compromise your thinking?
A: It's the fairest way to go, opt out... p.o. had so much attention... with an opt out gives states the option to get out.

Q: How will they opt out? What about Snowe?
A: I spoke to her Friday, she doesn't like any p.o. So we'll have to move forward... hopefully she'll see the wisdom of supporting a bill....

Q: What other measures are there?
A: This is a meld of the other bills. We've sent proposals to CBO... different meld of those bills. Info from both committees in it...

Q: Co op idea gone?
A: There will be a co op in this bill... From finance bill.

This bill is for middle class families. Obama in a call said we have to make sure to finish this legislation for middle class and poor people.

Q: Democrats only approach?
A: I'm always looking for Rs. On this, on extending benefits for unemployment insur., but it's hard to find them. We've had to do this on our own. Astounding: We had a lot of moderate Republicans when I came to Senate. Now, I can count them on two fingers. Makes it hard to get help from them. It's a big mistake not helping us on so many things. Before, we had a Repub. pres. who worked hard on hcr, but now they won't help us on anything. Hoping Snowe will come back. P.O. frightened her.

Q: White House made calls?
A: Hasn't been necessary to ask them yet.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts