Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Former right-wing leader warns of religious right violence: ‘Anyone can be killed’

By GottaLaff

http://www.rawstory.com/images/other/frankschaeffer101209.jpg

My very talented buddy Larisa Alexandrovna has written an extraordinary piece for Raw Story. She interviewed Frank Schaeffer (you can view a bonus video of a Schaeffer interview with Rachel Maddow here), who is afraid for President Obama's life, among other things.

I've posted about this very topic a few times, but Larisa's interview is so thorough and informative that it is a must-read among must-reads.

Excerpts:

"Since President Obama took office I've felt like the lonely -- maybe crazy -- proverbial canary in the coal mine," Schaeffer said. "As a former right wing leader, who many years ago came to my senses and began to try to undo the harm the movement of religious extremism I helped build has done, I've been telling the media that we're facing a dangerous time in our history. A fringe element of the far right Republican Party seems it believes it has a license to incite threatening behavior in the name of God."

"The bestselling status of the Left Behind novels proves that, not unlike Islamist terrorists who behead their enemies, many evangelical/fundamentalist readers relish the prospect of God doing lots of messy killing for them as they watch in comfort from on high," he added. "They want revenge on all people not like them -- forever." [...]

And if you want to know what the greatest threat to our president is, look no further than where evangelical "Christianity" intersects with Glenn Beck's fans. The FBI should seize his fan letter email. I'll bet they'd find some very interesting folks out there, people in militias, far right hate groups, and all the rest.
Go here for the rest. It's an excellent, but very disturbing, piece.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts