Friday, November 28, 2008

The Obama effect: Cookie monster edition

By GottaLaff

Obama can't help himself. He just keeps enriching people:
Want an example of the change Barack Obama is bringing to the country?

Check out cookie sales at Baby Boomers Cafe in Des Moines.

Ever since word spread about the president-elect and his family's fondness for Baby Boomers' chocolate chunk cookies, the small downtown restaurant can't bake them fast enough.

“Two months ago I was giving these cookies away,” said co-owner Rodney Maxfield. “Now, it's like 'I need two dozen cookies. I need four-dozen cookies.'” [...]

Obama's main office was next door to Boomers, and his staff made the cafe a second home. [...]

Suddenly, sales of 400 cookies in a good week soared to more than 1,000 a week, with requests coming from as far away as Mexico. Alas, the price is going up, from 50 cents to 75 cents a cookie to make up for the time it takes to make more each day.

“I think everybody just ... thought, 'Oh, great cookie, great president — the world is a happy place. Barack's going to fix all the problems and if I have a bite of this cookie it's going to make me feel good,'” Maxfield said.

Munching our way to blissful change. If that's all it takes, I'm in.

However, I have a nagging feeling that expectations are just a tad high that this one (very impressive) man will make everything all better in the time it takes to put on a few cookie pounds. Feet? Meet ground.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts