Friday, August 7, 2009

Another Special Comment by my 72-year-old friend

By GottaLaff



I have a very caring, impassioned Twitter pal, one who I've actually had the pleasure to spend some time with. He wanted to share his feelings about recent events, and I am more than happy to oblige, again. His first excellent rant can be found here:
It’s the 72 year old guy again. In my last comment I said that I haven’t seen so much hate and fear in this country since the civil rights movement. In the last few days I have seen it get even worse. The more I see it the angrier I get.

So whom am I angry at:

The birther movement: YES!; the town hall demonstrations: YES!; the conservative media who spew their hate: YES!; the republican party (1) for telling their followers to disrupt town hall meetings, (2) whose only policy is to see President Obama fail on all his programs, (3) wanting Health Care reform to be his Waterloo, (4) opposing additional funding for the stimulus program “Cash for Clunkers”: YES!!!!

When did we lose the concept that differences of opinions can be discussed and resolved in a peaceful manner? Why does the conservative media feel the only way to oppose anything is to spew hateful words like “racist”, “he’s not one of us” “this country was built by the white man"? Such words rile their base, and at times we have seen violent acts taken by their followers... for which these commentators will take no responsibility.

So what I see happening is the erosion of democracy as I have known it in this country; where party ideology is more important than what is best for this country. This erosion has been going on for several years. When mob mentality takes over the democratic process, like what we have seen at the town hall meetings, we all lose. No political party is right on everything it proposes, but by only working together in a bipartisan manner can we accomplish anything that is best for the country. To oppose any president on everything that may be proposed doesn’t benefit the country.

I hope it doesn’t take a climatic event to bring this great country back to its senses.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts