By GottaLaff
MSNBC is stressing Mark Sanford's misuse of public funds. Says he "crossed lines" with other women, but "no sex".
Let's take a little look back at his latest "apology":
Immediately after all this unfolded last week I had thought I would resign - as I believe in the military model of leadership and when trust of any form is broken one lays down the sword.Re: His pals...
They contended that in many instances I may well have held the right position on limited government, spending or taxes - but that if my spirit wasn't right in the presentation of those ideas to people in the General Assembly, or elsewhere, I could elicit the response that I had at many times indeed gotten from other state leaders. [...]And now, this update:
Accordingly, they suggested that there was a very different life script that would be lived and learned by our boys, and thousands like them, if this story simply ended with scandal and then the end of office - versus a fall from grace and then renewal and rebuilding and growth in its aftermath.So Sanford is now saying:
- My beliefs tell me I should resign, but I'm going to listen to my "long list of close friends."
- The reason why I was a f***-up of a Governor was that I was that "my spirit wasn't right" because I was sleeping with another woman.
- Now that I've been caught after having planned a 10-day AWOL excursion, my spirit is suddenly right, and I'll be the best damn governor ever.
- Think of how nice it would be for my children if I didn't resign.
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Tuesday that he "crossed lines" with a handful of women other than his mistress — but never had sex with them.A "handful"? Interesting choice of words. Moving on:
The governor said he "never crossed the ultimate line" with anyone but Maria Belen Chapur, the Argentine at the center of a scandal that has derailed his once-promising political career.
"This was a whole lot more than a simple affair, this was a love story," Sanford said. "A forbidden one, a tragic one, but a love story at the end of the day." [...]
He said that during the encounters with other women he "let his guard down" with some physical contact but "didn't cross the sex line." He wouldn't go into detail.
Thank god for small favors. Please, by all means, spare us the details. E.W.
Forbidden fruit, indeed...
