Saturday, May 31, 2008

Robert Wexler at the Delegate Debate: Open Thread

By GottaLaff:

Liveblogging as long as I can (excuse the shorthand and typos):


Robert Wexler
just asked for 50% of the delegates to be restored, as an "extraordinary Obama concession." (Plus a half vote for the superdelegates) .... "in the interest of unity. Seat the Floriday delegation. The primary would count. All the points are valid, but we need to compromise. The rule of your committee is that Floridians have no votes. We are here today asking to be reinstated according to the petition... so that the party can unify... Only the committee can determine what the formula will be. We will respect that decision... "

Wexler is answering questions: Harold Ickes asks what concession is being made. "If you're referring to the 2004 primary, by the time Fla voted, kerry was the presumptive nominee, there was no contest as there has been this year. (applause) We support the petition that you have before you. It's also clear that YOU have the power to partition and determine the delegates. We're saying, that the max. amount of delegates will be supported in the effort of unity. Why a concession? Because in PA and OH together, Hillary won a total of 19 delegates, we're offering unity... which amounts to the victories of OH and PA... Let us unify! Let us move on!

Ickes: Are you familiar with the concept of fair reflection?

Wexler: "The concept of fair reflection"? (laughter) Mr. Ickes, you'll have to educate me on what the "concept of fair reflection is". Did Mr. Ickes not respond?

Chairman: Mr. Ickes has chosen not to respond. [...]

Wexler: You should not penalize a campaign for complying with your rules. ... I vehemently disagreed with what this committee did last year. I met with Dean on several occasions. We as a group and said, NO, don't do this to Fla! But you all voted to penalize Fla not at 50%, but at 100%. Don't fault us for creating unity ... with a plan to give us the petition!

Q: I couldn't foresee this a year ago. I'm getting letters asking for a full vote.

Wexler: Understand, the petition is based on the votes that were cast. The division of delegates is based on the percentage that each candidate wants. ... Voters rights: No one in Fla. has championed this more than I. The irony... there was one person in Florida who fought for voter's rights, and you're lookin' at him! I took my case to court! ... We didn't prevail!... Finally, with a new governor, I worked for a verifiable paper trail! That's one reason Obama chose me to be here today! ... We want Floridian voices here, and that's why we support the petition here today!

MSNBC: It's a done deal. Senator Clinton can now say she "won something". Bill Clinton said he would affect the verdict of this Committee.

Open thread.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts