Saturday, May 31, 2008

Harold Ickes: Hillary will take it to the Credentials Committee

By GottaLaff [Note: I changed the title of this post]

A vote to restore full Florida voter capacity to 100%: 12 in favor; 15 against, including Donna Brazile (quick camera scan of group).

A vote to restore full Florida voter capacity (both pledged and unpledged delegates), giving each 1/2 vote, giving Clinton 55 delegate votes: 27 voting in favor, which qualifies as a unanimous vote.

Alice Huffman: "The world's not perfect... but it's good. What the party needs is unity." (huge applause) To hecklers: "Please don't interrupt me. And please don't do what they expect us to do... Conduct yourself like proper men and women."

Next: The Michigan challenge

A vote to restore full Michigan votes, giving each 1/2 vote
:
Don Fowler:

It is not the first choice of my candidate Hillary Clinton, but we should support this compromise. I say that to my good friend Harold Ickes.
Harold Ickes:
I rise in opposition. We find it inexplicable that this body, supposedly devoted to rules, will fly in the face the single most fundamental rule in the delegate selection process, Fair Reflection... analogous to the First Amendment of the Constitution. This motion will hijack...HIJACK... 4 delegates won by Clinton and judgment of the voters. Now that's what I call democracy. There's been a lot of rhetoric about democracy and on and on. I am stunned that we have the gall to substitute our judgment for 600,000 voters. Was the process flawed? You bet your ass it was flawed. It's hard to find an election in the U.S. that isn't flawed. Did a lot of people not vote? You bet your ass they didn't vote.

I don't think an election would withstand the test we laid down here. Fair Reflection is in the constitution of our party. It will take 55 delegates from Uncommitted status .. and convert them to Barack Obama. So I'm going to vote against the motion, and I hope others join me, finally. There's been a lot of talk about party unity. Let's all come together, wrap our arms around each other. I submit to you that hijacking 4 delegates is not a good way to start down the path of party unity.

One final word: Mrs. Clinton has instructed me, within her rights, to take this to the Credentials Committee.
The Hillary camp doesn't like the allocation of delegates. But they swear there will be unity. Honest.

Now the vote to restore all pledged delegates able to vote 1/2 vote: Clinton 69 (divided by 2 for vote total) delegates, Obama 59 delegates (divided by 2), all unpledged delegates entitled to 1/2 vote: 19 in favor. 8 opposed. The motion carries.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts