Friday, February 12, 2010

The Michigan Militia is back, better (?) than ever


I moved back to this area in '88, and other than having to readjust to the stupid white stuff that fell from the sky, I also had to steel myself against stories about hunting and shooting, stuff that in Miami you only heard about on the news, not as a pleasant topic of conversation. Then in the early 90's I'd hear about guys going "up north" for long weekends. Quite a bit. Now remember, I worked in an auto junkyard exclusively with a certain type of man, so I probably saw it a bit clearer than some people. They spoke pretty openly about it, the cammo, the supplies buried in bunkers and the guns. Always about the guns. And they're recruiting again.
Only one potential new member shows up at the meeting. Jeff is in his early thirties, he has a wife and a new baby. He's deeply distrustful of the government and he believes something is to about happen, probably the collapse of the American economy.

"Well, I feel like I can't rely on our elected officials, I can't rely on our military who works for our government, so bottom line is we have to have somebody to rely on," he says.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts