By GottaLaff
UPDATE, e-mail from Chris Dodd:
I wanted to let you know that I've been diagnosed with an early stage of prostate cancer.
This diagnosis is very common among men my age. In fact, one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point during their life.
Luckily, a routine test allowed my doctor to catch it at a very early stage, and my prognosis is excellent - we expect a full and speedy recovery.
I want to assure you that I'm feeling fine. As you know, we've been working hard to pass health care legislation and reform our nation's financial system to protect consumers, and that hard work will continue.
After the Senate adjourns at the end of next week, I'll have surgery to remove the cancer. After a week or two of recuperation, I expect to be right back to work.
After all, as a Member of Congress, I have great health insurance. I was able to get screened, seek the opinions of highly skilled doctors, consider all the available options, and choose the treatment that was right for me.
And I know you'll agree that every American deserves the same ability.
We have health care legislation to pass - and an election to win. And I can’t thank you enough for your support.
Sincerely,
Chris
CBS News has learned CT Senator Chris Dodd has been diagnosed w early stage prostate cancer.More:
U.S. Senator Christopher Dodd has been diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer.He's currently in some hot water over Countrywide favors. Not a good time for Senator Dodd. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Dodd is scheduled to undergo surgery during the Senate's August recess and said he expects to be back at work after a "brief recuperation" at home. [...]
Dodd, a Democrat, said he feels fine and intends to run for re-election in November 2010. "As you have probably noticed, I'm working some long and hard hours lately,'' he said. "And that will continue." [...]
Dodd is scheduled to hold a press conference this afternoon at 2 p.m. at his Hartford office.