By GottaLaff
UPDATE: Video has been added, and blog title changed to reflect that.
Liveblogging:
Look forward rather than backward. ... Gates and I have different perspectives, but most must be addressed for a constructive outcome. This was done to move the whole country beyond this, use this as basis of meaningful discussions in the future...
We've planned a meeting. Prof. and I will have a phone call to lay groundwork.
Meeting at a bar for a beer would send the wrong message.
I'd like to listen to Prof. Gates' perspective... he has a willingness to listen to mine as a police officer... the difficult jobs we do every day. He was very receptive to that.
We agreed to move forward. We had two gentlemen agree to disagree on this issue. We didn't dwell on the past, concentrated on the future.
We had encountered each other on individual tours of the WH, we introduced our families, moved along as a group. It was very cordial.
It was a private, frank discussion. No specifics.
Pres. contributed in small part, but he wanted to bring us together, it's become a national issue.
Teachable moment? I've learned that media can find you no matter where you live. That's the responsibility of Prof. Gates and I in the future meeting.
The VP is a great man, nice... nice to the children as well.
I'm not really sure this is really happening. I need time to reflect in the coming weeks.
There was no tension. It was business, but we discussed as two gentlemen instead of fighting it out, very productive.
UPDATE: Chris Matthews take? "A star is born." "Is he suave or what?" And then he compared him to Susan Boyle.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Liveblog: Cambridge Sgt. Crowley speaks, + VIDEO of "beer summit"
blog comments powered by Disqus