Friday, September 25, 2009

Khadafy’s interpreter: "I just can’t take it any more"

By GottaLaff

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/09/24/news/photos_stories/UN-GENERAL%20ASSEMBLY-KADHAFI173743--300x300.jpg

UPDATE: This post now cross-posted at Alan Colmes' site, Liberaland.

Yesterday I posted a Shallow Thought that snarked about Tag Team Interpreters. Seems I wasn't far off. You know what they say: There are no jokes.

It's from the New York Post, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm inclined to go with this one:

After struggling to turn Khadafy’s insane ramblings at the UN into English for 75 minutes, the Libyan dictator’s personal interpreter got lost in translation.

"I just can’t take it any more," Khadafy’s interpreter shouted into the live microphone – in Arabic.

At that point, the U.N.’s Arabic section chief, Rasha Ajalyaqeen, took over and translated the final 20 minutes of the speech.

"His interpreter just collapsed – this is the first time I have seen this in 25 years," another U.N. Arabic interpreter told The Post.

It takes a particular kind of talent to have that effect on your own guy. Whaddya think, does Khadafy make it into Guinness?

Breaking with protocol, Khadafy brought his own interpreters from Tripoli for Wednesday’s speech rather than use one of the 25 Arabic translators supplied by the United Nations, staff interpreters said.

Maybe the interpreter should have gone through some kind of endurance training. Or maybe he caught sight of his boss's hair and faked it just to have an excuse to leave the room.

Those who have translated for Khadafy in the past said they could empathize with his interpretator’s exasperation. [...]

"He’s not exactly the most lucid speaker," another Arabic interpreter said. "It’s not just that what he’s saying is illogical, but the way he’s saying it is bizarre. However, I think I could have made him sound a lot better."

By comparison, even Sarah Palin could make him sound better.

"Sometimes he mumbles, sometimes he talks to himself," he said.’

I take it back. Sarah could benefit from a session or two with him. She's just. That. Bad. At least Moammar's outfits keep us interested.

Ajalyaqeen, who had to rescue the bealegured interpreter, was given the day off yesterday.

"Ten minutes with Khadafy earns you a lot of annual leave," one interpreter said.

And an hour and a half earns you a gold medal.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Recent Posts