By GottaLaff
Via our favorite Alasakan blogger:
Operation Chaos, it seems, may have been a diabolical success. You’ll all recall when Rush Limbaugh urged all his supporters to vote for Hillary Clinton in states with open primaries. The theory was that she’d be easier to defeat than Barack Obama. [...]
It was no secret in the polling, that Democratic candidate Ethan Berkowitz was much more likely to defeat long-term but desperately corrupt incumbent Don Young, than Republican newcomer (and some would say Palin-bot) rival Lt. Governor Sean Parnell.
So, devious Independants and Non-partisans (who make up well over 50% of the voters in Alaska), chose the Republican ballot and voted for Young in a desperate attempt to swing the general election in favor of a viable Democratic candidate. How do I know this? Because, just in general chit-chatty conversation, I personally came across FIVE people who did it. I didn’t ask. It was almost like people needed to make this guilty, yet gleeful confession. ....[T]he idea obviously sprang up independently in the minds of those hungry to get the old-guard corrupt politicians out of office.
Weeks after Alaska’s primary, the absentee ballots now counted, Don Young can claim victory by the razor-thin margin of 304 votes. I know five of the voters by name, and I’m guessing that Alaskans like them have put him over the top. Alaska politics makes strange bedfellows.
Parnell will probably call for a recount, so keep those champagne bottles corked for now. The recount could take another 10 days. But, things may be looking up in one branch of Alaska politics.
Go, Mudflats!